Bloody great work Microsoft on Azure but I have a little bone to pick with you. Custom Domain config is a little bit flaky, at least the documentation is anyway.
I was banging my head against a wall for way to long getting the DNS config right, as least through the memset DNS config screens.
Here is the documentation on the Azure configuration screen:
There is more detail if you follow the link but really it wasn’t the full picture.
I know DNS can be a pain and you have to be a little patient but I kept following along with the instructions, waiting, adding my url after I had checked the CNAME had propagated and still I had weird, weird behaviour.
Things like I would get the green tick press ok and it would fail even though Azure Websites had given me the thumbs up. Added it again and then no thumbs up. Would wait a while and then get stuck in a Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down loop.
In the end I have found as pattern that works for me but it’s not exactly what the documentation says.
Here’s what I did:
- Add a CNAME entry for .mysite.com => mysite.azurewebsites.net
- Add a CNAME entry for .mysite.com => mysite*.azurewebsites.net
- Add a CNAME entry for awverify.mysite.com => awverify.mysite.azurewebsites.net
- Add a CNAME entry for awverify.www.mysite.com => awverify.mysite.azurewebsites.net
- Updated the A Records at the same time
I would then use MXToolbox to check when the CNAME had updated and once it had then add the url(s) through the screen above.
If you use memset.com for DNS config I hope this saves you some time.